Unitarian Universalist Service Committee/Human Rights Task Force
The Human Rights Task Force raises awareness of current social injustices and emergency crises on both a local and national basis. Its primary focus is on Economic Justice, Environmental Justice, Civil Liberties, and Rights in Humanitarian Crises. The task force works to encourage people to take action in the way of financial contributions, educating others on the issues, petition signing, contacting elected officials and writing letters to the editors.
- Past efforts have included a congregation-wide response to: recent flooding, tornadoes, and severe storms in the United States, the earthquakes in Haiti, hurricane Katrina, speaking about the crisis in Darfur, raising awareness of the privatization of water and other pressing issues.
- We partner with the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee to extend our reach to help others and to connect to our denomination through work of service for justice.
Habitat Interfaith Alliance Task Force
The Housing Justice/Habitat Task Force works in conjunction with Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver. Task force goals include:
- Continue to share leadership in the Habitat Interfaith Alliance.
- Continue to partner with Habitat for Humanity to address the affordable-housing shortage in our area.
- Strengthen interfaith ties so that we continue to become a recognized force for justice by the various faith groups in our community.
- Significantly expand our focus to include education of our congregants regarding housing issues and offer a variety of avenues for working to improve this social justice problem with in our communities.
- Provide as many opportunities as possible for First Universalist congregants and their families to participate in activities which increase the availability of decent, affordable housing.